Tuesday, February 5, 2008

We all hang together.....

Spent most of the day assisting the juror and then hanging the "Recent Works" show in the Main Gallery at the Woodstock Artists Association & Museum; then ducked downstairs to the Founders' Gallery to help finish hanging the "Winter/Snow" show. Both shows look very good and it was gratifying to see the downstairs show elicit such a good response from the members. This is the first juried show downstairs and there was, as usual, some grousing from some perpetually disgruntled members of the WAAM ...... what else is new.......
I am glad to say that my entries in both of the shows made the cut. It is imperative that I focus on just carrying the works back and forth at the direction of the juror during the selection of the works. Whenever the juror approached my piece, I turned my back and found something else to do so that I could not influence his decision in any way. It is helpful that the jurors we have secured in the past year and for the upcoming season for the Main Gallery shows are not from this area- they don't know the artists nor their styles. It is as anonymous as we can make it.
I do feel for the jurors- there were over a hundred and twenty pieces entered and and only about 40 or so chosen. This makes for nicely spaced walls but also many disappointments. I am glad I am not there when the rejected works are picked up. I do have to say that I have been on that side of this business- having to pick up a rejected work, and while it is not fatal, it isn't the best moment of the day either. But, having been an artist for over 30 years, rejection- either passive or active- is more the rule than the exception so I can't dwell on it too much or I just get stuck.

2 comments:

PooBahSpiel said...

Dear P, Would love to see you post of photo of the work at the gallery.

P.M.Law said...

Hi Mark- I think I can do that- thanks for the suggestion.

P